Whether or not glass bongs are legal to carry depends on the state you live in. Even if cannabis has been legalized in your state, it still may be illegal to carry glass bongs.
If you live in a state where it’s illegal to have a glass bong, the penalty if you’re caught with one varies depending on your state. The penalties range from a civil citation with no fine to felony charges. According to WaistKarma.com, if you have a large amount of them – it can be perceived as an attempt to engage in illicit activities. There also are cities that have different laws on glass bongs than the rest of the state.
States Where Carrying A Glass Bong Is A Criminal Offense (e.g. it can get you arrested):
- Arizona: Possession of glass bongs is a felony in the state of Arizona.
- California: Carrying a glass bong isn’t illegal in and of itself, but you could be arrested if it appears that you intend to use or sell it.
- Connecticut: You could be arrested if you intend to use it to smoke more than 1/2 an ounce of cannabis with it.
- Delaware: If you intend to use it to smoke more than 1 ounce of cannabis, you could be arrested.
- Washington, DC: You could be arrested for carrying a glass bong if you’re under the age of 21.
- Hawaii: Possession of a glass bong is a felony in Hawaii.
- Illinois (if an individual is also in possession of more than 10 grams of cannabis
- Maryland (repeat offenses)
- Missouri (incarceration is possible with repeat offenses)
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico: Possession of a glass bong is a felony that can result in 2-5 years in prison.
- South Dakota
- Virgin Islands
States Where Carrying A Glass Bong Is A Civil Offense (e.g. the penalty is a fine):
- Maryland (no fine for the first offense)
- South Carolina
States Where It’s Legal To Carry A Glass Bong:
- Washington, DC (if you’re over 21)
- Nevada (if you’re over 21)
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia
Is There Residue In It?
If there’s residue of cannabis in a glass bong, it could lead to a charge of cannabis possession in many areas. This can occur in any state where cannabis is illegal.
Is It Being Used For Tobacco?
If a glass bong is being used to smoke tobacco, it’s not illegal in any state. If you live in an area where glass bongs are illegal, it could be challenging to show that you aren’t intending to use it to smoke cannabis. Therefore, carrying one in these areas is not recommended regardless of its purpose.